Technology is constantly evolving. There have been numerous technological developments in recent years, including developments in dental technology. At National Dental Williston Park, we use the latest developments to provide you with the best oral care possible, including the ICAT machine.
WHAT IS ICAT?
ICAT technology is a type of digital imaging technology, much like digital X-rays, CT scans and CAT scans. This particular technology is one of the most advanced. The technology used in the ICAT machine is similar to the technology used in digital X-rays. The images produced, however, are more similar to the images that are produced by CT scans. The machine uses a cone-shaped X-ray beam to capture an image. The beam rotates around your head, making one full circle). As it moves around your head, it takes several images. Once your scan is complete, all of the images are pieced together to create a single 3-dimensional image, which shows us your bones, teeth, soft tissues and nerves.
WHAT IS ICAT FOR?
The images captured using ICAT technology have some different uses:
- Diagnosing any pathological diseases that may be present.
- Diagnosing impacted wisdom teeth (or other impacted teeth).
- Getting a better view of your sinus cavities, your nasal passageways and even your nerve pathways.
- Assessing the condition of your jawbone (including determining your candidacy for dental implants and their proper placement).
- Improved planning for root canals (the ICAT images allow us to see right into the internal structures of your teeth).
- Planning jaw surgery.
PREPARING FOR YOUR ICAT SCAN
There is the very little preparation that is needed before your ICAT scan. Before you get your scan, you will need to remove all jewelry, including necklaces, earrings and any other facial piercings. Hair accessories that contain metal must be taken out – clips, pins, hair ties. If you wear glasses and hearing aids, these must also be removed.
GETTING YOUR ICAT SCAN
When you are ready, you will then sit down at the machine and place your chin on the chin rest. We will make any necessary adjustments to the machine so that we will achieve the best possible image. Then, we will begin your scan. ICAT scans take less than 60 seconds, but it is imperative that you stay completely still the entire time. Once your scan is finished, it will take only a matter of seconds for the completed, 3-dimensional image to show up on our computer monitor.
BENEFITS OF ICAT TECHNOLOGY
ICAT technology offers numerous benefits:
- Your scan is quick, less than a minute and completely painless.
- One single scan will show us your teeth, your jawbone, your soft tissues, and your nerves.
- Your completed scan appears on the monitor with seconds of the X-ray beam completing its rotation. You have the ability to see exactly what we see, and we can take the time to help you understand the image and your treatment options.
- The 3-dimensional image produced allows us to see several different angles of your mouth.
- Specialized software allows us to manipulate your image in a variety of different ways, which allows for more accurate diagnoses and treatment plans.
- The image provides exact 1 to 1 measurements. This enables us to provide you with more accurate restorations.
With ICAT, we can provide you with more accurate diagnoses, and prepare a more effective treatment plan that will optimize your oral health. Call National Dental Williston Park today at (516) 686-9780 for more information.